Magnetic Jewelry

magnetic jewelry

What is ULINX magnetic jewelry made of?

LINX and CLIX are made of neodymium, a “rare earth magnet” compound consisting of iron and boron. Although neodymium is classed as a “rare earth”, it is no more rare than cobalt, nickel or copper, and is widely distributed in the Earth’s crust. Most of the world’s neodymium is mined in China.

In addition to its use in ULINX Jewelry, small neodymium magnets are widely used in such products as microphones, professional loudspeakers, in-ear headphones and computer hard disks, where the metal’s low mass, small volume and/or relatively strong magnetic characteristics are required. Larger neodymium magnets are used in high power electric motors, including engines in hybrid cars, and generators, including aircraft and wind turbine electric generators.

Most of our products are also silver-coated, giving them their bright shine.

What are rare-earth magnets?

Rare-earth magnets are strong, permanent magnets made from alloys of rare earth elements.

Are the magnets really strong enough to stay on?

Yes! Our products have incredibly strong magnetic attraction and should stay attached during normal daily use. Still, individual pieces can be easily disconnected by hand, allowing U to rearrange your bracelet as often as U wish, to create new designs that suit your style and match your mood.

However, we recommend U do not wear your jewelry during any high-intensity physical activities, such as playing sports, running or swimming. Any such activity (or similar action) while wearing your jewelry might “jar” the pieces and momentarily disrupt the magnetic connection, which may cause your jewelry to fall off.

How long do the magnets last?

LINX and CLIX are made up of permanent magnets, so they are designed to hold their magnetic attraction forever. The magnetic force can be diminished, however, if U heat the jewelry to over 175 degrees Fahrenheit. But why would U do that?

Are there any adverse effects to wearing magnets?

Not unless U wear a pacemaker. Avoid all close contact (6 inches or less) between magnets and pacemakers/ICDs. If U do wear a pacemaker/ICD and have close contact with a magnet, move away immediately and no harm should be done (source: Pacemaker manufacturers).

Do static fields decrease fertility, cause birth defects or increase miscarriage rates?

There is no evidence of this.

Will magnetic jewelry erase the memory on my computer, PDA, or zip disks?

As a rule of thumb we recommend keeping your ULINX jewelry closed (no open ends) and keeping the pieces a minimum of 4 inches away from any such sensitive materials. With normal daily wearing and regular use of a computer, cell phone, PDA or computer disks, U should not have any problems. But we do not recommend placing the magnets directly onto any computer, computer screen, PDA, or magnetic recording device. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK. ULINX takes no responsibility for damage to your possessions.

Does magnetism affect watches?

Magnetism will not affect digital watches unless placed directly on the battery. It can, however, affect analogue watches, which use a tiny electric motor or spring to turn the hands. Powerful magnetism can affect the performance of this motor/spring, but analogue watches will usually return to normal timekeeping as soon as they are taken away from magnetic source.

Will magnets affect my TV or computer screen?

Magnets can adversely affect the display of TV and computer screens and should not be held near to them. LCD screens will not be affected, but the old CRT screens may be. If U accidentally hold a magnet too close to the screen and it is affected, turn off the screen immediately and restart it after several seconds.

If irregularities persist, leave the screen off for a longer period of time. Do not leave magnets near a screen for a long period of time. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK. ULINX takes no responsibility for damage to your possessions.

WARNINGS & CAUTIONS

STRONG MAGNETS ARE NOT FOR CHILDREN. ULINX Jewelry is not a toy and is not intended for use by children under the age of 14. ULINX Jewelry is made of strong magnets. If swallowed, magnets can cause serious or fatal injury. Keep away from children. If U suspect a child a swallowed one or more magnets, seek medical attention immediately.

If U notice a rash or skin irritation from wearing ULINX Jewelry, U may be allergic to nickel. Avoid extended contact with ULINX Jewelry or any other source of nickel. Long term exposure to nickel has also been reported to have possible serious health consequences.

Magnetic fields can affect the operation of a pacemaker or ICD. Avoid close contact between ULINX Jewelry and a pacemaker.

Under normal use, small magnets should not affect computers, hard drives, cameras, MP3 players, LCD screens or watches. BUT PLEASE USE COMMON SENSE. Do not place ULINX Jewelry in direct contact with unshielded devices that use magnetic storage, such as credit cards.

USE AT YOUR OWN RISK. ULINX takes no responsibility for damage to your possessions or personal injury due to misuse.